Reliance Home Comfort is an HVAC solutions provider that offers both purchase and rental options for residential and commercial clients.
This review will cover their product range, services, protection plans, warranty, and customer feedback. We will also discuss the pros and cons of working with Reliance for your HVAC solutions.
Reliance Home Comfort has its roots in the storage water heater rental business, originating from Union Gas over 50 years ago.
Today, the company has expanded its services beyond water heaters to include various HVAC solutions such as furnaces, air conditioners, furnace repairs, plumbing services, water treatment, and smart home systems.
The company’s primary base is in Toronto, Ontario, but it has expanded its operations to western Canada and the United States. This growth included the acquisition of National Home Services in 2014.
In 2017, Reliance was acquired by Cheung Kong Property Holdings.
Reliance is associated with the following organizations:
- BBB Accredited Business
- CSA Group
Reliance vs. Local HVAC Companies
Compared to local contractors, Reliance focuses on equipment rentals, offering convenience but potentially higher long-term costs.
Local contractors typically sell equipment, which can be more economical over time and add value to the property. Local services often provide tailored solutions and faster, personalized support.
Customers should consider upfront costs, long-term expenses, and the customization and service needed when choosing between Reliance and local HVAC options.
Reliance HVAC Installation Reviews
While Reliance has its own technicians, the company also outsources some service and installation work to third parties, leading to varied customer experiences.
- Protection Plans: Several customers have found Reliance’s heating protection plans cost-effective. They could save more than monthly fees on maintenance and repair costs.
- Efficient Emergency Response: Positive remarks have been made about Reliance’s promptness in emergencies, such as quickly replacing leaking water tanks and installation processes.
- Smart Home Systems Installation: Reliance’s installation of smart home systems and tankless water heaters is often described as professional and satisfactory.
- Rising Rental Costs: Some customers express concern over annual increases in rental prices, which they find disproportionate over time.
- Sales Approaches During Service: There are accounts of aggressive sales tactics during routine service visits, with suggestions for unnecessary equipment upgrades or rentals.
- Additional Fees: A point of concern for some customers has been the extra charges incurred for services like equipment removal and account cancellation.
- Challenges in Service Cancellation: Difficulties in canceling services have been reported.
How soon are you looking to buy?*
What Products Does Reliance Offer?
Reliance Home Comfort offers a variety of home comfort products:
- Air Conditioners
- Water Heaters
- Water Treatment Solutions (Water Softeners and Filtration Systems)
- Air Purifiers
- Smart Home Solutions
- EV Chargers
What Brands Does Reliance Sell?
Reliance Home Comfort offers the following list of brands:
- Bradford White
- Mitsubishi Electric
What Services Does Reliance Offer?
Here are the services offered by Reliance Home Comfort:
- Furnace installation and repair for gas, electric, and oil furnaces, including repairs and replacements
- Installation, repair, and maintenance of hot water boilers
- Duct cleaning and repair
- Installation of air purifiers, humidifiers, and other air quality solutions
- Air conditioner installation and repair for central AC and ductless mini-splits
- Installation and maintenance of heat pumps
- Water heater installation and repair for tankless, electric, and gas models
- Plumbing and electrical services
- Water treatment solutions like softeners and reverse osmosis systems
Maintenance and Protection Plans
Reliance maintenance plans cost $9.99 monthly for heating or cooling and include annual system check-ups.
Protection plans are slightly higher-priced at $14.99 per month and extend beyond regular maintenance to cover the cost of most parts and labor for repairs without any deductible.
The combined Heating & Cooling Protection & Maintenance Plan is available for $29.99 per month.
Reliance HVAC Price Guide
Reliance Home Comfort does not publish HVAC system prices online; quotes are provided after a home assessment.
Overall prices are reported to be somewhat higher than some smaller local competitors, but prices vary considerably. Expect to pay between $5,000 and $8,000 for a new furnace or air conditioner from Reliance, including installation.
Keep in mind that because Reliance has a wide coverage area across Canada, in many cities and provinces, local prices may vary considerably.
Their product lineup spans from high-end brands like Lennox and Mitsubishi to more economical options such as Trane and Amana.
Renting equipment from Reliance comes without upfront costs, but customers must evaluate the long-term financial impact of renting versus purchasing.
Is Financing Available at Reliance?
Reliance Home Comfort provides a financing offer for their featured high-efficiency furnaces, where customers can pay no interest for 12 months.
Customers can make 12 equal monthly payments to their furnace without interest.
Reliance HVAC Installation and Repair Warranty
Reliance Home Comfort’s warranty policy aligns with the manufacturer’s terms during the applicable warranty period.
Reliance Home Comfort offers the following guarantees:
- Full refund if the heating or cooling system doesn’t perform as stated.
- Repairs are free if the furnace or AC fails in the first year, plus compensation for inconvenience.
- If the installed system doesn’t meet the promised temperature range, Reliance will replace it at no extra cost.
- They commit to repairing or replacing any property damaged during their service.
- Replacement of air conditioner units or furnaces if repeated failures occur within the specified time frames (five years for AC compressors, ten years for furnace heat exchangers).
Pros for Selecting Reliance HVAC Services
Reliance Home Comfort is known for its following benefits:
- Fast Emergency Response: Some customers report quick service during HVAC emergencies.
- Specialization: Renowned for expertise in water heaters and water treatment solutions.
- Renting Options: Offers rental solutions for HVAC equipment in Ontario, which is not widely available from other providers.
- Brand Variety: Provides a wide selection of HVAC brands, including both high-end and cost-effective options.
- First-Year Service Guarantee: Includes free repairs for AC or furnace failures within the first year plus customer compensation for inconvenience.
- Large Scale: Reliance is a big company which can mean they have more capacity in busy times, but can also mean more turnover and variability in the staff you may deal with.
Cons for Selecting Reliance HVAC Services
Customers should also be aware of the potential disadvantages when considering their options:
- Variation in Service Quality: Although Reliance has made efforts to improve their service satisfaction in recent years, due to the size of their operations, service quality may be inconsistent at times.
- Less of a Personalized Service: Likewise, compared to dealing with a smaller company where you’re more likely to deal with the same staff throughout the buying process, and for ongoing service, with Reliance you will likely deal with call center staff, and different technicians whenever you call.
- Cost of Long-Term Rentals: Over the average lifespan of a unit, rental payments can accumulate to a substantial sum. For example, a hot water tank can cost up to nine times more than the purchase cost.
- Cancellation and Buyout Fees: Terminating a rental agreement can be expensive due to hefty cancellation and buyout fees, leading to long-term financial commitments.
- Inconsistent Maintenance Service: Customer satisfaction with maintenance and repair services varies, with some negative experiences attributed to the use of third-party contractors in some cases.
- Service Cancellation Challenges: Customers have encountered complex processes and difficulties when canceling services with Reliance.
Things to Consider When Renting HVAC at Reliance
Renting an HVAC system like a water heater from Reliance requires a careful cost-benefit analysis.
Buying means upfront costs but long-term savings and equity in the equipment. Renting offers low initial investment but can result in higher overall costs and no ownership.
If you’re at the end of a rental contract, understand that you do not own the equipment, and Reliance may continue billing. Consider the potential for lower buyout offers from the company that may wish to avoid the costs of removing the unit.
Like many other companies, Reliance often subcontracts their installation and repair work. Subcontractors being paid per job rather than per hour could lead to rushed work that may not meet the highest quality standards.
Ensure you do thorough research independently and don’t feel pressured to make immediate decisions during sales consultations.
What Are the Best Reliance Alternatives?
When choosing HVAC services in Ontario, you may consider these alternative options:
Enercare: Both Enercare and Reliance have similar customer reviews. Enercare’s rental rates are a bit higher, but they offer sign-up bonuses for their plans. Renting is common in Ontario, but buying could save more in the long run.
FurnacePrices.ca: Through our Certification program, we provide free quotes from local, highly-rated (4.8+ average) HVAC professionals, offering rebates and full warranty protection.
Costco: For those considering a retail purchase, Costco gives incentives like 10% back in-store credit on HVAC purchases. They also offer a Comfort Shield labor warranty for extra coverage on Lennox equipment. You can check our guide on buying furnaces and air conditioners at Costco.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Reliance do duct cleaning?
Yes, Reliance offers duct cleaning services.
How long is a Reliance water heater contract?
Typical rental periods are at least 7 years. A Reliance water heater contract automatically renews and does not have a fixed expiration date. It continues until you actively choose to cancel it.