Payne PG95S Review
AFUE:Up to 95%
ENERGY STAR ®:No
Burner Type:Single Stage
Blower Type:Variable Speed
Price:$3,250 - $4,375
BTU Output:39,000 - 135,000
In order to help homeowners shop for furnaces and air conditioners, we developed our own proprietary algorithms which weigh a range of criteria and factors to provide an easy-to-compare grade (e.g. B-, A+, etc).
Warranty Grade: It can be difficult to know which brands and models offer the best warranty coverage, particularly because a lot of the key details are hidden in dense warranty documents filled with hard to understand legalese. Thankfully for you, we’ve carefully studied them and created this grading system to account for things like the length AND quality of their guarantee, coverage restrictions and more!
Overall Grade: This grade weighs key factors like efficiency, ENERGY STAR certification, comfort, noise level (for A/Cs), our warranty grade, and more.
Get instant access by creating a FREE account in seconds! (Plus get all these extra benefits)
Or Log In here
The Payne PG95S has a single-stage operation, and is an energy-efficient gas furnace that provides reliable heating for smaller spaces. It has an AFUE rating of 95.5% which means it has excellent heating efficiency. It’s a very economical gas furnace that can be easily installed in compact spaces as well.
This gas furnace is covered with a very good warranty and is a workhorse that will offer years of trouble-free service. If you are looking for an affordable yet heat-efficient gas furnace for a small home, the Payne PG95S is a good choice.
In a Nutshell
Average Price (installed): $3,250 – $4,375
- AFUE: 95.5%
- BTU input: 40,000-140,000
- BTU output: 39,000-135,000
- HYBRID HEAT® Dual Fuel system compatible
- Compatible thermostat: heat/cool
The Bottom Line
This is an affordable and heat-efficient gas furnace that has a single-stage operation. Its fixed-speed blower motor offers even levels of comfort and temperature control. This seemingly basic system is engineered for quiet operation and provides very good heating levels for small spaces. It has a quiet operation which adds to the comfort levels making it one of the best single-stage gas furnaces on the market today.
- Primary heat exchanger made of aluminized steel; secondary heat exchanger made of stainless steel
- High-temperature limit controls help prevent overheating
- Single Stage, Fixed Speed PSC compressor system
- Soft mounted blower and inducer motor
Other Key Features
- Stores fault codes when there is a power outage
- Approved for installation in Mobile Home or Manufactured Housing applications when used with the MH accessory kit
- Come with LED diagnostics and a self-test feature.
- 4-Way Multipoise Design- single model which makes it suitable for multiple applications
- Single-stage operation that provides good levels of comfort and the Fixed-speed blower motor which offers excellent temperature control
- The primary heat exchanger is made of aluminized steel and has a clamshell-type design. This has been re-engineered to achieve higher efficiency levels out of a more compact size
Noise Reducing Features
The Payne PG95S has soft-mounted blower systems and its inducer motor ensure quiet functioning. The system draws combustion air from the outside of the furnace, which enhances its quiet operation.
Ease of Installation
This energy-efficient gas furnace has a unique 4-way Multipoise Design. The same unit is compatible with multiple applications and you don’t have to look for downflow or horizontal models depending on the setting it is to be installed in.
The Payne PG92S comes with a 20-year limited warranty on the heat exchanger and also has a 10-year limited warranty on parts.
Comparable Models by Payne
Model Comparison by Features
The Payne PG95S has an AFUE rating of 95.5%, a BTU input of 40,000-140,000 and its BTU output is 39,000-135,000. In comparison, the Payne PG95XAT has an AFUE rating of 96%, a BTU input of 40,000-120,000 and the BTU output is 39,000-117,000. The PG95S comes with a HYBRID HEAT® Dual Fuel system while the PG95XAT’s electrically efficient blower motor which improves the overall SEER of your air-conditioning system.
Model Comparison by Price
The installed price of the Payne PG95S is $2,900 while the cost of the Payne PG95XAT (installed) is $3,000. Both of these are affordable gas furnaces that are ideal for compact homes or apartments.