The AMES96 from Amana is a single-stage furnace that’s paired with a few more sophisticated design features, including a secondary heat exchanger and multi-speed ECM blower motor.
Although it has a more basic burner, the additional features allow it to achieve a high-efficiency AFUE rating of 96 percent, meaning $0.96 of every dollar you spend on heating bills actually goes to heating your home.
This Amana AMES96 model review will cover all the important details about the furnace, including its specifications, design and technological features, warranty terms, and price range. To help you decide if it’s a good choice for an upgrade, we’ll also compare it to three other Amana furnace models.
About the Amana AMES96
Average Price (with installation): $4,800 to $5,400
- Backed by an excellent warranty
- Has a secondary heat exchanger and ECM blower for improved efficiency
- Wastes less fuel and loses less heat than a non-condensing furnace
- ECM blower needs less maintenance and operates more quietly than standard blower motors
- Equipped with self-diagnostics to make maintenance and repairs faster and easier
- LED fault code display facilitates troubleshooting and diagnostics
- ENERGY STAR® qualifying high-efficiency performance
- Provides continuous circulation and filtration of air
The Bottom Line
The AMES96 is a mid-range furnace with a high-efficiency rating, but it’s not the most powerful furnace out there. In fact, the single-stage burner makes this model better suited to smaller homes or slightly milder climates.
Nonetheless, the AMES96 will likely save you plenty on annual heating bills compared to a less efficient older furnace, and the ENERGY STAR certification means you can trust that this furnace delivers reliable and efficient performance.
Plus, Amana provides their own assurances about the reliability and durability through their industry-leading warranty that protects your investment for the entire lifetime of the furnace.
In Depth Review
Amana AMES96 Product Specifications
- AFUE: 96%
- Burner type: Single-stage
- Blower type: Multi-speed ECM
- ENERGY STAR rated? Yes
- Heating capacity: 38,440 to 115,320 BTUs
The AMES96 doesn’t have some of the extra technological features that other mid-range and premium Amana furnaces have. Those features include the communicating ComfortBridge technology and the CoolCloud HVAC app.
However, the AMES96 does have all the design features that make Amana furnaces reliable, durable, efficient, and quiet.
Other Key Features
- Quieter operation thanks to the insulated cabinet and sound-isolated blower assembly
- Insulated cabinet also reduces air leaks and heat loss
- Heavy-gauge steel cabinet dampens noise and protects important internal components
- Cabinet and components are further protected by the durable finish
- Reliable silicon nitride igniter eliminates maintenance problems and fuel waste associated with pilot lights
- Has a special tubular heat exchanger that increases durability
- Has an induced-draft blower that’s quieter and more efficient than natural draft furnaces
Amana has one of the best warranties in the HVAC business, and the AMES96 is protected by three separate warranties:
- A 10-year parts warranty
- A lifetime heat exchanger warranty
- A lifetime unit replacement warranty
The unit replacement warranty means Amana will offer to replace the entire furnace with a new one if the heat exchanger ever fails.
Amana requires registration before they’ll provide this full warranty coverage. Once the AMES96 is installed, you have 60 days to register it online with Amana, otherwise you’ll lose some of the warranty coverage.
Comparable Models by Amana
Model Comparison by Price: AMES96 versus ACVC96
The ACVC96 is a more advanced mid-range model than the AMES96, so it’s also more expensive, running between $5,000 and $5,600. But for the extra money, you do get some additional design and technological features that could be well worth the price.
The ACVC96 is a two-stage furnace, so it can run at a lower speed most of the time to maintain the temperature in your home, and kick into the higher gear when those cold snaps hit. In other words, this furnace will be much more capable of keeping a larger home warmer through colder winters.
This furnace also has Amana’s ComfortBridge technology and CoolCloud HVAC app. The ComfortBridge technology improves efficiency and operation by allowing components to communicate with the thermostat, and the app is for contractors, and it makes maintenance and installation easier.
Finally, the ACVC96 also has a more powerful variable-speed blower motor. Like the two-stage burner, this means the motor can operate at incremental speeds to provide consistent heat and circulation without wasting energy.
Thanks to the two-stage burner and variable-speed blower, the ACVC96 will be quieter and more efficient than the AMES96. It could also save you more money over time on energy bills, and it will be better at managing humidity in your house.
Model Comparison by Features: AMES96 versus AMES92
The AMES96 is a mid-range furnace while the AMES92 is an entry-level model. The AMES92 is more affordable, but it has a lower 92 percent AFUE rating, meaning it won’t save you as much on energy bills. It also doesn’t have ENERGY STAR certification, and has a unit replacement warranty that only lasts two years.
Aside from those things, however, the two furnaces are very similar. They’re both single-stage, multi-speed furnaces with ECM blower motors, secondary heat exchangers, silicon nitride igniters, and other features that promise reliable, lasting, and quiet performance.
Model Comparison by Tier: AMES96 versus AMES96-U
The AMES96-U is in the same tier and price range as the AMES96, but it has one important feature that the AMES96 lacks: it’s certified as an ultra-low nitrogen oxide emissions furnace. This means it’s a more environmentally friendly choice that could help to reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
Beyond that, the two furnaces are virtually identical. They have the same burner and blower type, AFUE rating, ENERGY STAR certification, warranties, and other specifications and features.