American Standard Platinum 20 Review
SEER:Up to 22
ENERGY STAR ®:Yes
Decibel Level:As low as 57
Price:$5000 - $7500+
Tonnage:2 to 5
Cooling Capacity:24,000 to 60,000
The Platinum 20 is the flagship model that American Standard offers in its line of air conditioners. It has a SEER of 22 and a multi-stage compressor and variable-speed fan. It is also incredibly quiet and works hard to keep up with a demanding summer environment. This model is the most efficient of the entire line, so you can expect to have lower energy bills when you replace an older unit with the Platinum 20.
In a Nutshell
Average Price (with installation): $5000 - $7500+
- ENERGY STAR® certified
- SEER rating of 22
- Multi-stage compressor
- Variable-speed fan
The Bottom Line
The Platinum 20 is a fantastic model for an environment with extreme temperatures. It can keep up with the demand of the heat and humidity and the durability of the unit handles the stress well. It will reduce energy bills, runs quietly and has technology that helps sync all the components together so that everything works efficiently. The multi-stage compressor can operate between 30% and 100% capacity, adjusting according to your needs and only going to a higher capacity when responding to big temperature changes.
American Standard Platinum 18 Specifications:
- Compressor type: Multi-stage
- AccuClean™ technology that removes particles to provide clean, filtered air in your home
- Humidity control that ensures your home is set at ideal comfort levels and dehumidifies during a hot summer
- AccuLink™ technology that doesn’t cycle on and off, but makes adjustments to achieve the ideal temperature
- Duration™ variable speed compressor makes automatic changes in temperature to avoid gaps and keep a comfortable home environment
- Spine Fin™ coil made of aluminum to last longer and transfer heat efficiently
- Ozone-safe refrigerant used to cool your home and not pollute the environment
- Compressor sound insulator reduces operational noise to be unobtrusive
- Variable speed fan motor to meet cooling needs more efficiently and quietly
The American Standard Platinum 20 is a very efficient unit that has the power to keep running under stress and extremely hot temperatures. It will cool your home down by responding to your cooling needs by adjusting in small increments to not use more energy than necessary. It can reduce your energy usage by 50% when you upgrade from an old unit. It is also built to last, with weathering treatments and uses durable materials.
More Key Features
- Durabase™ basepan that is resistant to cracks and corrosion
- 57-75 dB noise level (average conversation is about 60 dB)
- Heavy-duty steel louvers to protect the unit, allow airflow and keep debris out
- SermaGuard™ rust-resistant screws that are zinc-coated to increase the lifespan of the unit
The Platinum 20 is backed by American Standard’s best warranties. The Platinum 20 is covered by a 12-year limited warranty on the compressor, a 10-year limited warranty on the outdoor coil and a 10-year limited warranty on parts. Once you register within 60 days of installation, these warranties apply, if you don’t, you’ll still be covered by a 5-year limited warranty. You can also opt to get extended coverage and transferability.
Comparable Models by American Standard
Model Comparison by Price - American Standard Platinum 20 versus American Standard Gold 17
The American Standard Gold 17 is a great model that is energy-efficient and affordable. It may also be a better option if you don’t live in a climate with extreme temperatures. It has two stages, rather than the multi-staged Platinum 20, and it lacks the compressor sound insulator, so it runs a little louder. The Gold 17 uses a single-speed fan, but it is covered by the same warranties as the Platinum 20.
Model Comparison by Features - American Standard Platinum 20 versus American Standard Platinum 18
The Platinum series has a lot of the same features. The Platinum 18 has a lower SEER of 18, but both units have a multi-stage compressor and variable-speed fan. They are noise insulated and have humidity control to maintain a comfortable home environment. Both units are extremely durable and operate well under high pressure. They can make small adjustments to respond to your cooling needs without switching on and off. The Platinum series is covered by the same warranties.