Carrier Performance™ Series 90 – 59SP2
AFUE:Up to 92.10%
ENERGY STAR ®:Yes
Burner Type:Dual Stage
Blower Type:Variable Speed
Price:$4,835 - $6,170
BTU Output:37,000 - 111,000
Like other furnaces from the Carrier Performance Series, the 59SP2 is fairly energy-efficient gas furnace, although it is at the lower end of the efficiency spectrum. This furnace is designed to improve the comfort levels of your home while delivering even distribution of warm air silently and seamlessly. The system also comes with SmartEvap™ technology which aids dehumidification.
This function works in tandem with your cooling system and stops the multi-speed fan periodically while in a “constant fan” mode. It also drains away the condensation harmlessly, reducing re-humidification by up to 10%. This adds to the comfort levels of the indoor spaces.
In a Nutshell
Average Price (installed): $4,835 - $6,170
- AFUE: rating of 92-92.1%
- BTU input is 40,000 - 120,000
- BTU output is 37,000 - 111,000
- ECM, High-Efficiency, Single Stage Compressor
- Hybrid Heat® compatible.
The Bottom Line
This furnace offers you the perfect balance between energy-efficiency, quiet operation, and cost-efficiency. The Carrier Performance™ Series 59SP2 is a budget-friendly single-stage system that is compact enough to be installed in tight spaces.
Carrier Performance™ Series 59SP2
- High-efficiency, multi-speed, ECM blower motor significantly enhances comfort
- Single-stage gas valve and single-speed inducer motor
- Dehumidification input offers better comfort
- Humidistat™ Control compatible
- When installed as part of the complete Performance system along with a humidifier, it provides excellent year-round humidity management
Other Key Features
- Allows choices of different fan speed operation levels in the "constant ON" setting
- Adjustable blower speed for dehumidification, cooling and continuous fan
- Silicon Nitride Power Heat™ Hot Surface Igniter
- Hot surface PowerHeat™ ignition (pilot-free)
- Aluminized-steel primary heat exchanger
- Self-diagnostics with SuperBrite LED.
- Lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger.
- 10-year limited parts warranty.
- You may purchase a labor warranty as well.
Noise Reducing Features
This system uses QuieTech™ noise reduction technology & is housed in a fully-insulated cabinet which is designed to dampen sound levels. Its variable-speed ECM blower motor offers ultra-quiet operation. The sealed combustion system brings in fresh exterior air (rather than surrounding air) which adds to its quiet operation.
Temperature Control Features
The ComfortFan™ technology in the 59SP2 allows varying fan-speed levels while the system is in the "Constant ON" mode. Its Comfort Heat Technology® stages the furnaces heating cycles which helps reduce temperature swings while improving efficiency. The proprietary Ideal Humidity System® technology aids summer dehumidification.
Comparable Models by Carrier
Model Comparison by Features
The 59SP2’s AFUE rating of 92-92.1% is on par with the 59SC2A’s AFUE rating of 92.1%. The Carrier Performance™ Series 59SP2 and the 59SC2A both have a BTU input of 40,000-120,000. Their sealed combustion systems ensure that both these furnaces have very quiet and efficient operation. Since both the furnaces are housed in insulated cabinets and have monoport burners, they help maintain very quiet operation.
Model Comparison by Price
The average price installed of the 59SC2A is $3,120-$3,300 while the average cost of installation of the 59SP2 is in the $4,000- $4,500 range. Residential installations of these two furnaces may be eligible for financing from the contractor.
Model Comparison by Premium Tier
The 59SP2 is a budget furnace while the Greenspeed® Intelligence 59MN7A is a premium tier system. With its AFUE rating of 97.2-98.5%, the 59MN7A is definitely high on the scale when it comes to heating-efficiency compared to the 59SP2 which has an AFUE rating of 92-92.1%.
However, Carrier’s performance series furnaces should offer fairly even heating and high energy-efficiency while being somewhat lighter on the pocket (at least compared to other Carrier models) and the 59SP2 does all this effectively. If you are looking for a “budget” Carrier furnace that doesn’t still offers decent performance, this is one to consider.