Amana AMSS96 Review
AFUE:Up to 96%
ENERGY STAR ®:No
Burner Type:Single Stage
Blower Type:Variable Speed
Price:$4,500 - $5,500
BTU Output:38,400 - 115,200
In order to help homeowners shop for furnaces and air conditioners, we developed our own proprietary algorithms which weigh a range of criteria and factors to provide an easy-to-compare grade (e.g. B-, A+, etc).
Warranty Grade: It can be difficult to know which brands and models offer the best warranty coverage, particularly because a lot of the key details are hidden in dense warranty documents filled with hard to understand legalese. Thankfully for you, we’ve carefully studied them and created this grading system to account for things like the length AND quality of their guarantee, coverage restrictions and more!
Overall Grade: This grade weighs key factors like efficiency, ENERGY STAR certification, comfort, noise level (for A/Cs), our warranty grade, and more.
Get instant access by creating a FREE account in seconds! (Plus get all these extra benefits)
Or Log In here
The AMSS96 is a single-stage multi-speed gas furnace that is manufactured for quiet comfort and energy efficiency. With great features that ensure comfortable heating, it can be a great choice for your home.
This model review of Amana’s AMSS96 will cover important details like the furnace’s specifications, key features, additional technologies, and warranty terms. It will also provide a model comparison with three other Amana furnaces to help you make the right choice for your home.
About the AMSS96
Average Price (with installation): $5,000 to $5,500
- A stainless-steel tubular primary heat exchanger that enhances the unit’s reliability, durability, and efficiency
- Efficient and quiet multi-speed circulator means quiet startup and shutdown
- Comes with Amana’s excellent warranty
- High-efficiency AFUE rating
- Equipped with a secondary heat exchanger for improved efficiency and less fuel waste
- Versatile installation applications make the furnace suitable for most homes
The Bottom Line
A solid mid-range furnace with a good warranty and features, the AMSS96 can provide your home with comfortable heating for years. Its 96% AFUE rating means a high efficiency that can save you money on monthly heating bills.
Although the AMSS96 is a high-efficiency furnace with some additional features for improved performance compared to a standard, mid-efficiency furnace, the single stage burner is best for smaller homes.
However, this model might be powerful enough to heat a slightly larger home if you live in a place that gets milder Canadian winters.
In Depth Review
- AFUE: 96 percent
- Burner type: Single-stage
- Blower type: Multi-speed
- ENERGY STAR rated? No
- BTU input: 40,000 - 120,000
- BTU output: 38,400 - 115,200
- Sub-models available: 0402BNA, 0603BNA, 0803BNA,0804CNA, 0805CNA, 1005CNA, 1205DNA
Amana has been manufacturing furnaces for a long time, and they dedicate time and effort to perfecting components through design improvements and testing.
The result is that the AMSS96 is made with quality components that are built to last and backed by a great warranty, so you can rest assured that you'll get many winters of reliable heat from this furnace.
Other Key Features
- A silicon nitride igniter eliminates the need for the older pilot lights that wasted fuel and had additional maintenance needs
- A quiet, single-speed, induced-draft blower means precise control for you, and enhanced energy efficiency
- Continuous air circulation filters and moves air constantly
- A self-diagnostic control board monitors your system to ensure reliable operation
- Self-diagnostic findings are communicated through LED fault codes for quick troubleshooting
- A heavy-gauge steel cabinet provides the unit with corrosion resistance and protection for essential parts
- A thermally insulated cabinet means less noise, less air leakage, and better heat transfer
- A 96% AFUE means you’re saving on monthly and annual heating bills
The AMSS96 comes with Amana’s ten-year limited warranty on all functional parts, so in the event a component is malfunctioning, your wallet will be protected. The model also comes with a lifetime unit replacement warranty that guarantees the replacement of the unit should its heat exchanger fail.
And be aware that to be eligible for this warranty, you do have to register the AMSS96 within 60 days of installation. There will still be a warranty if you don’t register, but the terms won’t be as long.
With so many models to choose from, Amana offers you a range of furnaces for your home. Our website can provide you with the details on the company’s fleet of products. Here are some comparable models from the various tiers.
Model Comparison by Price: AMSS92
With a 92 percent AFUE, the AMSS92 is the economy-tier variation of the AMSS96. For a lower price, ranging from $4,200 to $4,800, you get an efficient furnace with some of Amana’s innovative features, like a durable heat exchanger, secondary heat exchanger, and diagnostic control board.
However, the AMSS92’s lower AFUE means you won’t save as much on heating bills, and the furnace might not be powerful enough to keep your home at the temperature you like.
Model Comparison by Features: AMVM97
Buying an ENERGY STAR certified furnace with a 98% AFUE means you’re getting the maximum heating for your money. It has all the features of the AMSS96 and more, like Amana’s CoolCloud and ComfortBridge technology. These innovations enable the AMVM97 to constantly monitor its own performance to make adjustments and enable qualified technicians to make quick and accurate diagnoses. If you’re looking to spend more, then the AMVM97 is worth looking into, especially because of the additional power and efficiency from the modulating burner and variable-speed blower motor.
Model Comparison by Tier: AMEC96
A high-efficiency two-stage, multi-speed gas furnace, the AMEC96 can offer you the same excellent AFUE but with ENERGY STAR certification, quieter operation, better humidity control, and more power to heat a larger home. It possesses similar features to the AMSS96, with a quiet, two-speed, induced-draft blower and stainless-steel heat exchanger. Its dual-stage heating means it has high and low settings that adjust to your home’s heating needs as the temperature changes.